Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Visual Literacy Reflections


This chapter made me view art in a whole different light. Learning the difference between form and content will help me interpret art in the future. I also now know how to identify the three general visual interpretations of art, representational, abstract and nonobjective. I'm happy to know that art is not one dimensional and has a different meaning to different viewers. Finally, what was most interesting in this chapter was iconography. The Marriage of Giovanni Arnolfini and Giovanna Cenami by Jan van Eyck, has such great detail and symbolic references. My favorite part of the painting is the round mirror on the back wall because it has their back side reflection, now that's detail!

1 comment:

Sam Kim said...

I really like this drawing as well. It is so real. The zoomed image in the book just gave me a shock. Wall side especially. In this learning objective, I've learned much and I can agree with you that it is just nice to understand the form and the content of the art.