Thursday, May 15, 2008

A World of Art

Christo and Jeanne-Claude's, The Gates is amazing and my favorite work of art in this chapter. The flowing saffron-colored fabric looks beautiful through out Central Park. When I see the aerial view of the gates it reminds me of orange dominoes, lined up and ready to be knocked down.
I like how the actual piece of art changes with the weather. The sun and the wind changes the fabrics color and shape. The Gates also reminds me of Tic-Tac candy boxes and orange flavored pez.
I wish that I would have had a chance to see The Gates in person before they took it down. I can also appreciate that all the materials used were recycled.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked how you described The Gates as dominoes. It makes it more interesting to get other people's views on art because I would have never thought of that myself. It adds a different perspective and makes me look at the artwork in a different way.

George Tilton said...

This was also my favorite work of art. Just as you said about dominoes waiting to be knocked over, I felt the same way. It's funny how looking at certain things can trigger your mind to think of other things like childish games.

rae targos said...

the color is quite striking. it is unique. not a lot of us paint the color of our walls that color or drive cars that hue, but is also very familiar to us. we can begin listing a bunch of items with the same color like the tic tacs.