Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Conceptual Art


Before this class I have always liked conceptual art; I just didn’t know the proper terminology. Taking items that you see every day and transforming them into art seems very easy. I think most people like conceptual art because almost anyone can recreate some of the easier pieces. Also, the pieces don’t require a vast amount of artistic ability. I’ve seen conceptual art in books, museums, and friends homes. Every piece is so different. One of my favorite pieces of conceptual art this week was Nancy Holt’s sun Tunnels, Great Basin Desert, Utah. This art work can be seen in several different ways. To me it’s a sculpture and conceptual art. The concrete tunnels remind me of Roseville when I was a kid. My friends and I would ride our bikes near Woodcreek High School to the construction sites. There were huge concrete tunnels waiting to be installed. We would lay our bikes against them and climb to the top, the view back then was excellent. The Sun Tunnels design is so simple but brilliant. The picture with the light shining through the tunnel is my favorite because it reminds me of a symbol-like object. My favorite types of conceptual art consist of everyday house hold objects. Last year at the California State Fair, I viewed a piece that was made out of metal spoons. The artist welded thousands of metal spoons together to form a horse’s body. I don’t like all types of conceptual art though; I have seen pieces in the past that I thought were awful. Conceptual art will always be some of my favorite art. This class has taught me how to appreciate art and further expand my mind.

2 comments:

Kendra Shaughnessy said...

I completely agree with you that not all conceptual art takes a lot of artistic ability but more creative ideas. Great post.

Danielle Carmassi said...

I thought the earthwork concept was pretty cool too. I'm from Roseville...I totally remember when those pipes were out! I must say, I do find something quaint about taking everyday objects and transforming them. Thanks for sharing!