Friday, June 27, 2008

What I've learned from art


Before this art appreciation class I knew nothing about art. I was completely nervous and had no clue what to do. I didn’t know what to look for, where to look or how to look. These past 8 weeks have flown by so quickly that I can’t believe it’s almost over. The material that I have learned will definitely help me to be more creative and to appreciate my beautiful surroundings. Last September my wife and I took a short trip to the Crocker Art Museum. I had a good time looking at all the paintings but I left wondering; what was I looking at? This week we made the trip again but this time I had a clue. The paintings seemed clearer and I was able to appreciate all the different types of art. I knew where to look for the true meanings of painting. My trip was a lot more enjoyable and I look forward to viewing much more types of art.
There were many different types of techniques that I have learned throughout this class but my favorite is where line space and color. Lines in pictures are amazing! Turning something into a three-dimensional takes time and thought. I am now able to figure out lines in paintings. I know what the horizon line is and where the vanishing point is located. Last week I visited my parents’ house in Lincoln, CA. They have several different paintings hanging on their walls. I asked my dad, “Have you ever really looked at these paintings?” He said no. So I showed him the different things to look for. I was able to show him the lines and tell him he had an abstract painting with a red hue. I told him why they chose two different colors on the color wheel opposite of each other to make the paintings intense. I showed him the overlap and why there was overlap. He was amazed at my newly acquired knowledge and wanted to learn more. After analyzing all the paintings in the house my dad had a good understanding of what he actually owned. One of my goals in life is to collect some different pieces of historic art, now I will be able to choose the pieces I like and interpret them. I am really glad I decided to take this class. I have learned so much in a short period of time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JB,
I loved your post! I know exactly what you mean about looking at things differently now. It just gives the art more meaning when you can really understand it. I also found myself asking my family if they noticed certain things about the art we saw at the museum. Even though I don't think they will entirely understand everything I point out, I know it makes them more interested in learning about art. Good blog!

Michelle Pacansky-Brock said...

James,

This is so terrific! I love hearing how this class has given you the confidence to discuss form with your Dad and encourage others to notice the beauty around them. Thanks for all of your great participation. Good luck with your art collecting venture. Here's a tip...each spring sierra college has a terrific student art exhibition on campus in the Ridley Gallery. The student work is terrific and much of it is for sale. I bought a painting last year by Annah Redding that I LOVE. It's displayed over my mantle in my family room. Give it a shot...even if you don't buy anything, it's still fun!

Michelle