Friday, June 13, 2008

Thomas Kinkade.....Artist?

I have always admired Thomas Kinkade’s painting because they look so peaceful. I’ve seen his paintings everywhere. I’ve been to the Kinkade galleries at several different malls throughout the country. I’ve even seen his paintings at the Military Base exchanges. I currently don’t own any Kinkade prints and don’t plan on it anytime in the near future. Before this week I knew nothing about Thomas Kinkade’s background. I always figured he was an excellent painter and good business man. After reading the blog prompt I was shocked. I immediately checked out the FBI investigation, Wikipedia and his website. The FBI investigation was interesting; slow sales at your retail stores and buy company shares at a reduced price, does this really happen in America? The article didn’t really make me a Kinkade hater, it just raised some questions. The people who sued him need to realize they made an investment, I don’t know the whole story but investments are risky. If in fact Kinkade did undercut their prices and made them sell prints that had slow sales, shame on Kinkade. In the end we all get what’s coming to us!
I do have a problem with the allegation that Thomas Kinkade uses the Christian card to real-in investors. Christians are known to be honest and hard working people who love the lord. In my personal life I’ve made sales by telling the customer where I go to church, it makes them feel at ease and that they can trust you. If Kinkade did in fact play this card, it’s very unethical. I did go on the Wikipedia website to look up information on Thomas Kinkade. In my opinion Wikipedia is only somewhat credible because anybody can put stuff on that website. How do I know one of Kinkade’s rivals isn’t on Wikipedia bashing him to reduce his sales? I was impressed by Kinkade’s charity work that he has done in the past for the Make-A-Wish foundation, and the Salvation Army. If you make lots of money you should help out the less fortunate.
Finally, I want to talk about Thomas Kinkade as an artist. To me he is an artist because he designs the prints and has painted in the past. To some he might not be a true artist and I would have to agree with them on some level. Personally, I will never have a Kinkade painting in my home because I believe they are overpriced. The point is people who buy Kinkade’s painting know what they are buying. I’m pretty sure they know Kinkade didn’t spend 18 hours on the print that is hanging in their hallway. Thomas Kinkade is a businessman who obviously knows what he’s doing. If I could make that much money I would sell prints too, but then again I don’t refer to myself as “Painter of Light.” I really don’t care if Kinkade sells mass amounts of prints because if there is a demand he should keep doing what he’s doing. But, I do hope his business practices are legal and ethical.

8 comments:

Nicole Stephan said...

I agree that Kinkade's paintings are very nice, but definitely over-priced. He really does seem to be a good, Christian man. He painted an image of a sailing ship for the senior pastor at my church, Babyside.
I also agree that Wikipedia is NOT the end-all of reliable info on the matters of Kinkade and his ethics and dealings in the business world. At least we know that his own conscience will have to answer for what he has or hasn't done and the only judge will be the big guy upstairs right?

Shauna said...

I agree with pretty much everything you said in your last paragraph. Despite his questionable practices he is still an artist in my eyes. If he is supplying a demand and can make a living at it then more power to him. I do find it sad, however, that he seems content to remain stagnant as a painter and not evolve his talent further. I also will never own a Kinkade because of price and the fact that they all look pretty much the same to me. If I was going to spend that much money on a piece of artwork I would want it to be something special, not something that half the people that I know have calendars of.

Your baby is darling, by the way. What a great smile! Its infectious.
: )

melanie said...

I also did not agree with the fact that Kincade uses his religious beliefs to sell art. I do not hate Kincade either for being a strong business man and making a lot of money. I just wonder how many people actually know this is not one of a kind art they are buying? I would personally feel ripped off if I bought artwork that I thought was one of a kind.

Mike McLaughlin said...

I feel the same way regarding the sales of Kincades paintings. If the demand is there then so be it. He has just as much of a right to do as he does as does anyone else. He is just judged at a higher level because the fame and fortune he has amassed.

Kimberly Evans said...

I guess you were as shocked as I was to find out that Thomas Kincade is being investigated by the FBI. He does have some nice pieces but they are definitely overpriced.

Misha said...

Yeah I took comm st with knifong...JB....were you the car dealer? I need a pic of you on your blog.....

But regarding the Kinkade...he is too much drama for me to want to care about him you know?

Michelle Pacansky-Brock said...

Hi James...I'm here to deliver a NUDGE (5 point deduction) for your "Favorite Painting" post. Please post the assignment asap to avoid further point deductions.
-Michelle

rae targos said...

he certainly is a strategist. and you're right, investments are risky. i think it's kind of interesting that people are feeling scammed when they know much of his work is prints and that art is only worth the monetary value you place on it. i wouldn't say he's the most ethical person, but you can only expect so much from a salesman.